Witney News - Early announcement of waste and recycling service changes

Witney - A view from Church Green

Advertisements

Early announcement of waste and recycling service changes

From October next year (2017) West Oxfordshire residents will be able to put the majority of recycling items that are currently placed in black boxes, all together into a wheelie bin.

Glass, however, will still need to be placed in a black box as it has to be collected separately.

A new kerbside collection for small electrical items will be introduced when the new service starts.

In line with most other councils, recycling collections will become fortnightly and will alternate with the general household rubbish collection.

Food waste will continue to be collected weekly.

The above were included in the recommendations for future changes to the waste service, to start when the current contract ends in October 2017. They were agreed at West Oxfordshire District Council’s Cabinet’s meeting on 22 June 2016 and will go forward to full Council for a decision the following week, on 29 June.

Cllr Richard Langridge, Cabinet Member responsible for the Environment said, “In a recent survey, most people (70%) told us they would prefer a wheelie bin for recycling and do not want to sort all their recycling materials. As our residents are amongst the best in the country for recycling, we are keen to introduce any changes that make it easier for them.

“Using wheeled bins for recycling collections will also reduce street litter as materials such as paper and plastics often spill out and catch the wind easily.

“Although recycling collections will become fortnightly using a wheelie bin with a box for glass gives much greater capacity. Households unable to accommodate a wheelie bin, should be assured that we are exploring other container options for them.”

Recommendations include retaining garden waste collections as an optional service for residents, but from April 2017 introducing a small annual charge of £30 for each garden waste wheeled bin.

For several years West Oxfordshire’s garden waste collections have been free. However, following cost cuts made by Oxfordshire County Council, the District Council is no longer receiving recycling credits for garden waste and so a small charge to cover costs is being made. This brings West Oxfordshire in line with other neighbouring authorities as most charge for this service.

Cllr Langridge said, “Garden waste collections are popular and residents told us in the survey that it is something they value. Because of this we are very keen to offer it as an optional service with a small annual charge for those who wish to take it up. More information will be available later in the year.”

There will be no changes to general household waste collections as these will be still be collected fortnightly and collections will alternate with recycling.

Additional notes

Survey responses
Over 3,500 residents responded to the public survey about waste and recycling and below are some of the results:

• 70% of households said they would prefer a wheelie bin and 48% said that having a wheelie bin would encourage them to recycle more

• 88% said they valued the garden waste service and 65% indicated that they are prepared to pay for it

• 71% said their household rubbish (general waste) bin was full or three quarter full each fortnight. The remaining 29% said their bin was usually half full or less and some of them said they would prefer a smaller bin. The possibility of offering a smaller bin as an option is being investigated.

Recycling materials that will be collected in wheelie bins
Cardboard, paper, plastics, foil, cartons, aerosols, food tins, drink cans

Separated materials
Glass will be collected separately. The Council will continue to collect batteries, textiles and cooking oil separately.

Posted : 24/06/2016 14:38:17

Other recent Witney news items


Dancers in the frame at special exhibition

A photographic exhibition celebrating the mature dancer is to go on display in Witney. Joie de Vivre is a collection of images designed to showcase the beauty and vitality of older dancers with th...[more]


Call for voters to register in time for elections this May

With local elections taking place in just a few weeks, voters in Oxfordshire are being urged to make sure they are registered to vote and are able to take part on polling day, Thursday 4 May. The c...[more]


Sign up now for garden waste collections

Letters are being sent to householders in West Oxfordshire encouraging them to sign up for a new opt-in garden waste collection service. The new subscription-only service starts from the beginning...[more]


To view the full Witney Blog, click here