Witney graphic

Witney and District Museum

Opened in 1996, the Witney and District Museum is situated in the centre of Witney, along the High Street. The large ground floor gallery houses a long term exhibition, showing the history of Witney and the surrounding area, and highlighting the changes that have taken place over the last 1000 years. Local industries such as Witney Blankets, glove making and brewing are all featured.

Witney and District Museum is situated in a traditional Cotswold stone building that was one the home of Malachi Bartlett, the proprietor of a well known local building firm. The west end of the building was used as a smithy, while the upper floor was a "laths store".

The Witney Museum collection includes items from the local brewing, blanket and engineering industries, together with photographs and artefacts relating to Witney buildings, Witney at ware, transport, education and religion. Exhibits include a tithe map, the town stocks and relics of Witney aerodrome.

The Bartlett Taylor Gallery is upstairs and is used for temporary exhibitions. (Ring the museum during opening hours for details of forthcoming exhibitions).

Wheelchair access to Ground Floor only.

Witney Museum Opening Hours

April to October : Wednesday to Saturday 10am to 4pm. Sundays (phone for information)
Admission is currently £2 for adults. Children, Free.

Witney Museum Location

Gloucester Court Mews, High Street, Witney, Oxfordshire, OX28 6JF.
Telephone 01993 775915

  The design, concept and content of this Witney web site is the intellectual property of Commatic Limited unless otherwise stated. No part of this web site, including images, graphics and text, may be reproduced or stored, in any manner, without prior permission.
Information stored on this site, or collected by it may be subject to Data Protection Regulations. The nature and content of information stored about a company or individual will be disclosed on request of the individual or company concerned.